Pretty cool new product from the Administration for Children and Families (ACF). They have collaborated with a number of agencies, including SAMHSA, to create a Youth Guide on Psychotropic Medications that is now available.
From the ACF announcement
As indicated on the National Resource Center for Youth Development website, this new guide —written specifically for youth in foster care with input from youth and professionals— looks at ways to handle powerful feelings and behaviors and make healthy choices. Understanding how psychotropic medication can help and what other options are available can be challenging. This guide can help you decide what’s best. Making Healthy Choices includes useful information, questions to ask, worksheets, and tips on:
- Recognizing you need help
- Knowing your rights about your health and who can help you make decisions
- Considering your options, including helpful approaches other than medication
- Making decisions about how best to stay healthy
- Maintaining treatment (taking medication safely and continuing or stopping treatment after leaving foster care)
A Spanish version is also being completed and should be posted by the early Fall.