Youth Catalytics has just unveiled their Girls in Society project, which addresses the early sexualization of girls ─ a phenomenon that, coupled with the hyper-sexualized internet culture, is linked to the exploitation of girls and young women.
The above video, produced with support from the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Vermont, features interviews with 14- and 15-year-old girls who participated in a small ‘photovoice’ project focusing on the pressures they feel to conform to society’s standards of beauty and sexual allure. See their photos here. Interested in conducting a media project of your own with girls in your agency or school? Contact us.
Youth Catalytics has dozens of resources that they are making available to professionals, parents, teachers and community leaders, including media projects such as the Public Service Announcement they did in Vermont with the US Attorney’s Office. They are also asking people to contribute to their database of effective programs and approaches, and would appreciate it if you would post and disseminate this request to others so that they may do so as well.
Check out the links below:
- PSA: Internet Exploitation (in partnership with the US Attorney's Office for the District of Vt.)
- Teen Life Now: Girls Talking
- Girls' Photovoice Slideshow
- Early Sexualization in the News
- Roundup of Programs and Approaches
- Submit Your Own Program, Approach or Idea
- Starting the Discussion in Your Community