Okay all you "big data" aficionados - here is workshop you may be interested in attending...
A deluge of data is being made available for public use. In raw-form, large complex data sets are difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is a two-day, hands-on certificate program focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts, graphs and maps. Participants will learn to create a clearer, more meaningful picture of complex statistics and publicly available data, tell stories with interactive GIS maps, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communication professionals, journalists, bloggers, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
- Learn to employ good graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Learn to create interactive maps & heat maps.
- Clearly communicate data with annotated timelines and motion charts.
- Employ best practices for using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps that tell stories with data.
You'll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience. You'll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
Tuition Pricing: $645 USD. Register before October 31, 2013 for a 10% discount. Discount is automatically applied during registration.
When: November 8th & 9th, 2013 from 9:00am to 4:00 pm daily.
Where: University of California, Berkeley, North Gate Hall map
Lodging: Information is available on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Instruction: Led by Tasneem Raja, kdmcBerkeley's Data Visualization Guest Instructor and John C. Osborn, kdmcBerkeley's Data Visualization Guest Instructor.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate. While previous experience with data visualization tools and techniques is not required, familiarity with data sets is helpful.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel is recommended.
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.