The Children's Institute invites you to join nationally recognized experts in the field of implementing trauma-informed practice in child welfare, juvenile justice and children’s mental health, including a special session on working with military families. One essential element of trauma-informed best practice is understanding the risks to providers working with trauma survivors.
Addressing the roots of vicarious trauma, secondary traumatic stress, compassion fatigue and burnout are critical to sustaining helping professionals in the field, as well as providing trauma-sensitive best practice and interventions with the children and families we serve. Managers, supervisors, legal professionals, individual providers, juvenile justice workers and consumers can learn about current research and experience models of self-care practice and resiliency strategies to sustained wellness. Presentations will also provide organizational strategies and policies to support trauma-informed practice, staff wellness, and risk reduction of compassion fatigue and secondary traumatic stress.
- WHEN & WHERE
October 9, 2015 – 8:30am-5:00pm
Westin Los Angeles Airport Hotel
Los Angeles, CA 90045
- TO ATTEND: Print and Mail/Fax the Registration Mailer or sign up online
- LEARN the latest about trauma-informed practice in child welfare and children’s mental health.
- EXPERIENCE a full day of wellness strategies focused on reducing the risk of secondary traumatic stress and building resilience through self-care.
- CONNECT with experts and other helping professionals who are leading the way in implementing trauma-informed practices in treatment and wellness in the workplace.
- SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS by Dr. Laurie Anne Pearlman on life after trauma, with practical strategies for coping and self-care. Hear from Azim Khamisa, Author, Activist and Inspirational Speaker. Other notable speakers include Dr. Thema Bryant-Davis and Jerry Tello.
- CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS AND TOPICS
- Working with Unaccompanied Minors
- Culture-Responsive Treatments for Ethnic Minorities
- Addressing Vicarious Traumatization: Resilience and Transformation
- Working with Military Families
- The Secrets of the Bulletproof Spirit: How to Bounce Back from Life’s Hardest Hits
- “La Cultura Cura”: Transformational Healing
- Secondary Traumatic Stress Organizational Change Framework
- Healing Drum Circle and Movement
- The Deep Well: The CE-CERT Model for Reducing Compassion Fatigue
- Engaging Fathers with a Trauma-Informed Approach
- Wellness and the 100-Year Lifestyle