~ From our colleagues at the Child Mind Institute ~
Brave Buddies, our intensive, group behavioral treatment program designed to help children with selective mutism to speak in school and other public placeskicks off this week.
We have 36 Brave Buddies from 2 continents and 16 states! Watch Lily's story and see how Brave Buddies changed her life!
To find out more about Brave Buddies, visit http://childmind.org/
About the Child Mind Institute’s Selective Mutism Service
The Child Mind Institute’s Selective Mutism Service is an innovative program that helps children with SM overcome their symptoms using state of the art evidence-based behavioral interventions.
Before treatment begins we learn about your child’s history, development and symptoms through a diagnostic evaluation. Our evaluations are based on information collected from multiple sources including parents, teachers, previous therapists and pediatricians. We conduct live behavioral observations to best understand your child’s ease of talking, with and without a stranger present, as well as review video of your child talking at home. Beginning with a careful, detailed evaluation allows us to understand your child’s needs and provide tailored treatment recommendations.
Highlights of Our Treatment
- Treatment uses specialized behavior therapy techniques that prompt speech and then reinforce successful speaking experiences with lots of labeled praise and small incentives.
- We teach parents the skills kids are learning in therapy and help them look for opportunities to reinforce those skills at home. We provide live coaching for parents to make sure they master the skills.
- We guide the child to do “brave talking” by systematically bringing the therapist closer while the parent and child play, then gradually fade the parent out of the room.
- We use generalization, which means taking therapy “on the road” – we go to stores and other places in the community to help the child practice. We provide multiple contexts for practicing “brave talking,” including a weekly practice peer group.
- We assign homework so parents can practice out of session and keep momentum going.
- We collaborate with the child’s school, provide staff trainings and offer specific strategies for use in the classroom.
- When medication may be helpful, our team works with board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrists at the Child Mind Institute or collaborates with your physician.
Intensive Treatment Services
For children with severe symptoms or for families who are traveling long distances for treatment, we offer intensive interventions. Our intensive treatment services permit a patient to be seen for several hours a day, several days a week, depending on need. We work with children of all ages, providing direct behavior intervention with the child and coaching with parents. Individual intensive treatment is often beneficial for children who are not yet ready for a group setting or who fall outside of the age range for our groups. All families start with a one hour consultation to identify the individual needs of the patient and family and guide treatment planning.
Brave Buddies SM is a group intensive behavioral therapy program to help children with SM ages 3 to 8 speak in school and other public settings. Using a simulated classroom, the program offers children a safe environment to practice “brave talking” with positive feedback. We offer two multi-day programs each year, in February and August, and day-long programs four times a year.
To make an appointment, call us at (212) 308-3118 or request an appointment online.
We offer a series of free training and support workshops for parents and professionals. You can attend in person or participate online and watch past workshops. Visit Parent and Educator Workshops on Selective Mutism to register for upcoming events and view archived workshops.